What is an FR44?

FR44 insurance is a financial responsibility insurance certificate which is a requirement if a person gets convicted for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI). After sentencing, the driver must file an FR44 which provides the minimum amount of insurance coverage.

The States of Florida and Virginia requires the FR44 Insurance. This makes people think twice before driving under the influence. Aside from the suspension of the driver’s license, drivers guilty of DUI or DWI automatically increases insurance rates over the next 5 years. The FR44 is aside from the usual penalties that you must pay for like fines, license suspension, and jail time.

Fr-44 certification is required for the following convictions:

  • Caught driving under the influence of drugs or intoxicants
  • Caught driving while the driver’s license has been suspended due to a conviction
  • Caught driving while the driver’s license has been suspended due to finding of not innocent (juvenile cases)
  • Violation of the provisions of any federal law or law of any other state or any valid local ordinance similar to the above.

FR-44 liability insurance coverage limits are double the SR-22 insurance coverage limits and are 100/300/50 which stands for:

100/300/50 (Florida):

  • Coverage of $100,000 for bodily injury/death of one person
  • Coverage of $300,000 for bodily injury/death of two or more persons
  • Coverage of $50,000 for property damage

*Please note that required coverage limits will vary by state.

How do I reinstate my license after a conviction for Driving Under the Influence (DUI)?

1st DUI – 180 days to a 1-year revocation effective on conviction date. Or, first offense DUI with Serious Injury – at least a 3-year revocation. Before expiration of the revocation period, you may apply for a hardship license in the county where you live. DUI School completion and treatment, if referred, is required. You then can apply for a hardship license in any Administrative Reviews Office (see listing “Under Suspension – Need Driver License for Work”) where you live.

If you wait to reinstate your license until your revocation period ends, proof of enrollment or completion of DUI School and treatment, if referred, is required. Failure to complete the course within 90 days after reinstatement will result in cancellation of your driver license by the department until the course is completed. Failure to complete treatment may result in cancellation of your driver license.

At the time of reinstatement, whether for a hardship license or a full license, you must take the required examination, and pay an Administrative fee and revocation reinstatement fee and any license fee required. For a DUI conviction on or prior to October 1, 2007, you must provide proof of bodily injury liability insurance in the amount of 10,000 per person and $20,000 per occurrence and $10,000 property damage liability on the arrest date or proof of bodily injury liability coverage and a $15 reinstatement fee will be required. Any DUI conviction after October 1, 2007, must provide proof of auto insurance with an FR-44 and bodily injury liability insurance with limits of 100,000 per person, 300,000 per occurrence and 50,000 property damage liability on the arrest date or proof of liability coverage and a reinstatement fee of $150 up to $500, for subsequent violations will be required.

Why Do I Need High Policy Limits?

Florida introduced the FR44 Insurance policy on February of 2008. This certification is similar to SR 22 which is the regular requirement before. There are differences though with SR 22 and FR 44 which includes higher liability limits are required for the latter.

In Florida, when arrested and convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol your license will be suspended through court orders. In order to get your license back, you will be required to get the FR44 and maintain it for 3 years. You can get this form from your automobile insurance company or supplier. Once you get this form from your insurance company your status will automatically be changed to high risk which causes your premium and policy to increase.

The FR44 Forms will also require the insurance provider to inform the DHSMV if you have problems with maintaining your insurance policies.

How long will I need a FR44 Filing?

Generally speaking, someone with a DUI or alcohol-related violation will need a FR44 filing for 3 years. The start dates for the filings also vary by location because the DMV may suspended your license for a certain amount of time and then advise you of a unique date when you can obtain your license again with a FR44.  When we obtain an insurance quote for you, we can go over your violation and conviction dates.

To obtain an estimate for the price of insurance with an FR44 only takes a few moments.  When you are ready to purchase your insurance, we can often provide you with a new temporary ID card and FR44 in the same day.

What information do I need?

In many situations you may receive a case number.  Please make sure to provide us with your case number so that we can have the FR44 form issued correctly.  If you have your DUI / DWI conviction date available, that would be helpful as well.

To obtain an estimate for the price of insurance with an FR44 only takes a few moments.  When you are ready to purchase your insurance, we can often provide you with a new temporary ID card and FR44 in the same day.

How soon can I get an SR22 or FR44?

We can help by electronically filing an SR22 or FR44 with the DMV the same day you purchase your insurance (depending on the time of day).  You also have the option of having us send you an original SR22 or FR44 via US Mail or Federal Express.  If you are close to our office, you are welcome to come in and pick one up.

Can I still purchase insurance with a suspended license?

This is one of our specialties. We can still help you to purchase insurance if your license has been temporarily suspended,even with a 1 year suspension.  We are here to help.  If your license is suspended because you need an SR22 filing, just let us know.

I was told that I cannot get insurance because I no longer qualify as a “good driver”.

There are companies that target “good drivers” and companies that target drivers with multiple points.  We work with both types of companies to help you find the coverage you need at the right price.

I only have a foreign drivers license or an out of state license, can you still help?

Yes, just let us know when you contact us.

I do not have any tickets or accidents, can you still find me a good deal?

YES!  We also work with companies that give excellent discounts to drivers with 1 point or less on their record.  We can also help by finding multipolicy discounts for clients who also purchase homeowners, renters, or motorcycle insurance.

Do you sell motorcycle insurance too?

We can help with FR44 filings through motorcycle insurance as well.

My case is still pending or I have not been convicted yet, should I still call?

YES.  It is important to call as soon as possible so that we can cover over the various options based on the potential outcome of your case.  Calling after you have been convicted leaves fewer options.

Can I get an SR22 or FR44 if I only own a motorcycle?

YES.  Motorcycle insurance is one of our specialties, and we can help you obtain an SR22 or FR44 if you only own a motorcycle.

Can I still obtain commercial auto insurance with a DUI or and SR22/FR44?

Yes, we can help clients who have DUIs and need commercial auto insurance.  If you need to file an SR22 with your commercial auto insurance policy because you do not have a personal vehicle, please let us know.

Can I pay for FR44 Insurance in installments or on a payment plan?

Yes.  The payment plan options vary by carrier.  By working with multiple insurance carriers that issue FR44s, we are able to get FR44 Insurance quotes quickly. .

Can I get an SR22 or FR44 if I do not own a car?

Yes! We can help you with a non-owner policy with and SR22 or FR44 filing.  Simple fill our our non-owner quote request form and we will contact you with a quote.

Remember, a non-owner insurance policy is only for clients who do not have a vehicle (automobile) registered to them, because it will provide coverage if you have a vehicle registered in your name or that you use regularly.  Call us to discuss your situation to help determine which type of policy is right for you.

Will a non owner policy work for me?

An SR22/FR44 non-owners or named-operator liability policy is insurance on you, for any vehicles you operate that you do not own, as a secondary insurance coverage. This type of liability policy is usually written with a state’s minimum coverage limits(Except FR44 which requires higher limits), and covers only other drivers or property – not your own. For instance, if you were involved in an accident, and you were at fault, the liability insurance would cover only the injury to or property damage of others that occurred as a result of the accident, if and only after you have exhausted the primary insurance. A non owners policy does not offer comprehensive and collision coverage for the vehicle you are driving.

An SR22 or FR44 filing can be attached to a NON-OWNER policy to satisfy the state’s requirements for license release. This is the only option if you do not own a vehicle. The vehicle/s has to be listed on the policy, if you do own a vehicle/s. Then an SR22 or FR44 filing can be endorsed on that policy.

Generally, a non owners insurance is less expensive than a traditional policy with an SR22 or FR44 filing. Give us a call or fill out the quote request, and we will help get your license and your driving privileges back.